History of Crieff Golf Club, Perthshire
633
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-633,bridge-core-2.8.2,qode-page-transition-enabled,ajax_updown,page_not_loaded,,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_hidden,vertical_menu_hidden_with_logo, vertical_menu_width_290, vertical_menu_transparency vertical_menu_transparency_on,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1300,qode_popup_menu_push_text_top,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,transparent_content,qode-theme-ver-28.6,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_top,disabled_footer_bottom,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.8.0,vc_responsive

A product of the golfing boom

Crieff Golf Club is a product of the golfing boom, which opened half of the country’s present courses between 1880 and 1909. Since the mid 19th Century, visitors seeking refuge from the encroaching cityscapes of Edinburgh and Glasgow have assembled on Crieff’s rugged Highland line.

Once an ancient frontier settlement and market town, Crieff maintains its reputation as a place of gathering. The club’s existing courses, The Ferntower and The Dornock, stretch over the restorative grounds of the Hydro, a grand Victorian Spa which opened in 1856.

1890
An idea blossoms

A group of enthusiastic golfers arranged a meeting to discuss the formation of Crieff Golf Club

1891
Old Tom Morris

A 9-hole course, designed by the legendary Old Tom Morris, was built on land at East Ledbowie Park and opened on the 11th July 1891

1893
'A capital test'

The club moved to a new course laid out behind the town on the Knock Hill. Known as the Culcrieff course, it was described as 'a capital test of golf'. The course included a large amount of slopey lies and put a significant emphasis on a player’s short game. The elevated nature of the course also offered stunning views over Strathearn and the Grampians.

1913
Ferntower House

After work on the town’s waterworks started to impact the Culcrieff course, the decision was made by the club to find a new location. Work began on a new 18-hole course to the east of the town on the Ferntower grounds, our current location. Remains of the old Ferntower House can still be seen by the eagle-eyed through the trees to the right of our 14th tee.

1914
New layout opened

The new course was laid out by Robert Simpson of Carnoustie and opened in 1914.

1924
James Braid

The highly renowned James Braid was invited to make subsequent updates to the layout of the Ferntower course in the mid-twenties.

1980
John Stark

Significant changes, including the creation of new holes were made to the Ferntower by John Stark. These changes created space to accommodate the brand new 9 hole Dornock course.